Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Why I Lose Sleep

It's 2:30 in the morning and I'm watching my sugar drop on the Dexcom app.  From 54 to 49 to 46, I'm lying in bed with my phone open, sweating.  I've eaten three glucose tabs and two Tums and I just want to go to sleep.  But I can't until my sugar goes up.  This is type one diabetes.  I may have food poisoning, I'm not sure.  So far I've kept my burger down.  If I'm sick this could turn into a really long night.  Another glucose tab, waiting for my sugar to go up.  The sweating is getting worse and I'm shaking, waiting for the next number to come up.  I still just want to go to sleep, but with a glucose of 47 it's just not time yet, so instead I'm laying here dictating a note to my phone to document type one.  This is no joke, it's no game and it's no fun.  I'm up to 51 my heart is pounding and I don't know if I can go to sleep yet.  But with my sugar going in the right direction I'm going to try.  Thanks, T1.
-------------------------------
The note above is one that I dictated into my phone last year and then forgot about.  Other than edits for punctuation this is how it came out that night lying in bed.  Fortunately something this dramatic doesn't happen very often, but there are always going to be nights like this that make no sense.  This is reality for people with Type 1.

The image below is my JDRF footprint through this evening.  It's based on an average of 5 finger pricks a day - I'm typically close to double that.  The injections are an average of 7 a day, which is probably a little low but not too far off.  And the hours of sleep lost?  I have no idea.  They usually aren't quite as dramatic as the night above, but it's a good example.  In comparison, I was up at 4 AM today doing an injection because I was higher than I like to be.  It goes both ways.  These numbers represent just 4.5 years.  I never knew anything about this before I was diagnosed, but I'm going to keep telling my story and watching these numbers climb until somebody figures out a solution.



No comments:

Post a Comment